2/10/2013

blushing pinks


Is it spring yet? Apparently not since we were just dumped with 3 feet of snow, but before that, I could swear we were getting close. I had already picked armfuls of forsythia, magnolia and all available shrubbery - determined to force them all into early bloom. The forsythia was the only one that has really come through, the others just appreciate that I brought them in and saved them from the crazy weather.

Last weekend a friend asked me to help out and design a bouquet for her boss in NYC, and of course, I jumped at the chance. It will still be at least a month or two before the earliest of the early blooms open and start working their magic here in CT, so even though selecting blooms in NYC's flower district is somewhat against my personal goal of using only fresh and local material, some exceptions have to be made in the winter months, especially when there is literally nothing available.

My main instruction for this bouquet was soft, romantic, feminine but unique. I pulled some of my favorite flowers and let them do the work. Does anyone else prefer budding Amaryllis to open? I definitely do. The other flowers used were tulip, spray rose, carnation (I love these even though they get a bad rap. I used a dirty brownish pink variety so they would be less recognizable), rananculus and a bit of green and white foliage, from a plant I don't know. After delivery I transformed the leftovers into a second bouquet.


No comments:

Post a Comment